Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas || Book Review and Disscussion

Hello everyone!

Today’s post is going to be over “A Court of Thorns and Roses” by Sarah J. Maas. The first part of this post will be spoiler free but I will have a spoiler filled section toward the bottom. I will give warning and tab down a ways to help you avoid spoilers.

“A Court of Thorns and Roses” (ACOTAR) takes place in the world of Prythian which has been separated into mortal lands and faerie lands. We learn that there was a war that ended in a truce between fae and humans that put in place this separation. The two parts are separated by a wall that the humans believe there is no way to get through it, but we learn that there is a way through the wall. The humans have been told stories of the faerie lands that are meant to scare them into not being curious enough to venture through this wall.

The book opens up with our main character, a 19 year old girl Feyre, hunting for her family in the woods in the dead of winter. Though she is the youngest of the family she had promised her mother that she would take care of them. While hunting she comes across a wolf that is after the doe she was about shoot. She ends up killing both the oversized wolf and the doe, taking what she can to sell.  That night a beast shows up at their house demanding to know who killed the wolf. This is when we learn that the oversized wolf was in fact fae. The beast, Tamlin, informs the family that it is in the treaty that was made hundreds of years ago that humans must pay for killing a faerie. He ends up giving Feyre the choice of being killed on the spot or going to live in the faerie lands, with him, for the remainder of his life. Feyre chooses to go with him and our story truly begins.

This is a Beauty and the Beast retelling so we do see aspects of Beauty and the Beast (BATB). I enjoy fairy tale retellings because it gives us a different aspect of the fairy tales we have all grown to love. BATB is one of my favorites and Sarah J. Maas did it justice. While reading there were little hints for fans of BATB, such as Feyre drinking out of a chipped tea cup, a giant library in Tamlin’s home, and even Feyre putting on a golden gown. There were also more dramatic changes to fit the story and the world. These changes were so well done and I loved every moment of it. I will get into these changes more in depth in the spoiler section of this post.

The characters in this book are fantastic and I pretty much loved every single one of them. There were a few exceptions for very obvious reasons but even those characters I really enjoyed their contribution to the story. Obviously we have Feyre and Tamlin who we would classify as Belle and the Beast but we also get to see a bit of Feyres family, her dad and two older sisters. These characters were interesting to say the least. I enjoyed seeing into Feyre’s past and getting an idea of why her family acts like they do. While they aren’t the most likeable characters their story is intriguing. Her sister, Nesta, did have some redeeming elements and I am thrilled that we are going to be seeing more of her in the future.

We also have the wide variety of fae. One of my favorite characters was Lucien, who is Tamlin’s right hand man and possibly even his best friend. I really loved his sarcasm and his sas. He started off a bit rude and unrelatable but as you get to know him you start seeing his charm and how great of a character he is. I greatly enjoyed his and Feyre’s. Lucien’s back story is also interesting and I can’t wait to see more of him. Then we have Alis, who is put in charge of helping Feyre throughout her stay. I love Alis and hopefully we will be able to see more of her and her story.

The last character I want to discuss is Rhysand, or Rhys. At first Rhys was creepy and I didn’t really know what to think of him. As the story goes on his character is shown to be rude and villainous but once we know more of his background and get insight into why he is acting the way he is he becomes quite likable.  

Over all Sarah has done a fantastic job of building up this world and her characters. Though we mainly stayed within the Spring Court of the faerie lands we got a glimpse at the Night Court and I can’t wait to see what the other courts will bring to the story. Sarah does such a great job of writing in this world that the words disappear from the page and you are left with a movie. The visualization was crystal clear for me and I didn't want to put this book down.

I’m now going to go into spoilers, so please if you have not read ACOTAR and do not wish to be spoiled please stop reading. Thank you.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-


WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD


-
-
-
-
-
-





I really enjoyed the aspect of the curse in this book. Instead of turning the fae into inanimate objects they are cursed with their magic being weakened and masks of animals stuck to their faces. Having masks being their ‘beast’ was a fantastic element that I quite enjoyed. We still got that element of not being able to see the true form of our beast without it being inappropriate and strange. I also loved the fact that Tamlin knew who he was and tried to make Feyre fall in love with him for who he is instead of her having to change him for the better.

Another switch I liked from the original fairy tale and this book was the fact that Feyre was illiterate and Tamlin wanted to help her learn to read. At first I didn’t like that Fayre was illiterate because Belle being a reader is a huge part of why I love BATB, but it worked and I can’t wait to see where Sarah goes with that element of the story. Instead of using books as her outlet, Feyre used painting. I loved that she was able to paint the things she was feeling and the beautiful things she saw throughout the fae lands.

Now let’s talk about Rhysand. Oh my lanta. I don’t know how I feel about him completely yet. It’s pretty clear that there may be a love triangle later into the series and idk how I like it. I really enjoy Tamlin and Feyre together but I can see maybe likeing Rys and Feyre in the future, but for now I’m on ship Feylin!

I didn’t really like Rys at first, he was a jerk and very villainous but once we learned that he was doing everything he could to help Feyre I started to like him more. Yeah maybe he was helping her just so he, himself, could be free, but he was helping her nonetheless. I wasn’t anticipating to like him as much as I do and it will be very interesting to learn more about the Night Court and what he is going to have Feyre do each week she is with him.

I also really enjoyed the trials; it was such a unique and unexpected way for Feyre to break the curse since she missed the deadline of falling in love with Tamlin. I could not stop reading through the trials and I’m pretty sure my face showed pure disgust while reading about the giant worm and the mud. That was horrible! And the visuals were so well done that I could clearly see the disgusting giant worm coming after her as she tried to find a way out of the pit.

I also loved the fact that all of the High Fae came together to help Tamlin keep Feyre alive by putting their powers through her, ultimately turning her fae. I am so thrilled that this happened in the first book rather than making us wait the entire series for the inevitable to happen (I’m looking at you Twilight.)  It is going to be such a long wait for the second book to see what happens in this magical world that Sarah has given us but I’m looking forward to the next book already.

That is all I have for you at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you have finished this book let me know in the comments. One thing I’m most interested in knowing, are you shipping Feyre with Tamlin, or Ryhs? J

Until next time,



 


No comments:

Post a Comment